Friday, March 19, 2010

Out of the Silent Planet alien designs

Earlier in the semester I read the first book in C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy titled Out of the Silent Planet. It's an awesome book and I can't wait to read the other two. I wanted to come up with designs for the 3 alien races featured in the book and this is what I came up with. 

You can read the basic descriptions on wikipedia here


sorn


hross


pfifltriggi


I just wanted to establish the primary forms and anatomy of what these creatures might look like. The descriptions are really cool, but in some cases I was a little bit intimidated because there are a few things that just don't sound cool. For example, the seroni (plural of sorn) are described as having droopy noses, and that is really uncool, so I tried to come up with a nose that could reasonably be described as, at the very least, LOOKING droopy, but still had a neat and not-dorky look.

These are just sketches of me trying to get my initial concepts out of my head and on paper. I'm planning on setting some time aside to go in and dig a lot deeper and develop them a lot more. 

11 comments:

sebastian meyer said...

Cool! The minute I saw these I knew immediately which book this is. I've been meaning to illustrate this book for a very long time as well. Great Job man, it's nice to see a realized version of this.

Ryan Summers said...

So many variations already! I love seeing all the head studies on hross. Looking forward to seeing more progress on this project.

M. S. Corley said...

Awesome work, I love the book series and I've hardly met anyone else who has read them. I drew Alcasan's Head from 'That Hideous Strength' and was planning on drawing these guys some day. These designs are great.

Justin D said...

Hey, cool! I love this book and I think your designs are pretty perceptive.

Earl Wajenberg said...

I've very rarely seen images of the Malacandrians, so running across these is a real pleasure. Regarding the sorns' noses, I always pictured them as rather hooked and high-bridged, as you might see on a slightly cartoonish wizard. That might help with the nose dilemma?...

The URL, by the way, is to my own write-up off a role-playing setting based on Lewis and the other Inklings.

Jerry said...

Nice to see the lesser known CS Lewis realized. Brilliant!

tassio franca said...

as you rotate the brush to draw?
how best to turn or command?

como vocĂȘ gira o pincel para desenhar?
qual a melhor forma ou comando para girar?

saltypig said...

diggin' it. if i went to the movie version and that's what they looked like, it would rock. thanks.

AlexisfromArgentina said...

Awesome! I'm reading the book and I've been wondering if there were some ilustrations of the characters, your renditions are great, they're quite like I've been thinking those martians would look like. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Very cool, but I believe the Sorns are described as being covered in a coat that is like feathers.

hermes birkin replica said...

I really wish I hadn't seen this as I really want one now!
This is all very new to me and this article really opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.