Wednesday, March 04, 2009

John Carter of Mars

Did this this morning. It's John Carter from "a Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Definitely one of my favorite stories. Burroughs is amazing.



There is so much wrong with it, but I just wanted to get it done and out of the way. I also wanted to work on doing painterly things in Photoshop, which is really fun, but it's tricky. Especially when you're just used to coloring line art.

Here are some character designs of John Carter and Dejah Thoris




Here is a speedpaint of the surface of Mars


This is a speedpaint of the desert that John Carter wakes up in during the last scene of the book, where he's transported back to Earth, not knowing if he's saved Mars. Burroughs was able to make that part feel so lonely and still


Here's a quick sketch of John Carter in some battle gear. In the book, practically everyone is naked all the time. But it isn't sexual nudity, it's National Geographic nudity. In books later in the series the martians actually tease humans for wearing clothes. You would think it's ridiculous, too!

That anatomy is messed up.

Here is a quick sketch of Woola. I was just trying to figure out a way to organize his proportions. Jigga's got TEN legs! That makes NO sense. I'd like to later take this to a finished level. I love Woola.

7 comments:

zelas said...

Nice job!
And the top painting, the guy reminds me of that actor from Evil Dead... its on the tip of my tongue and I can't remember his name!

Ture Ekroos said...

I really like the lighting and the face in the first one. I like the designs a lot too, they have that kind of awesome old school European scifi look to them.

marionv said...

I love your landscapes! Really beautiful.

George Cwirko-Godycki said...

i just found your blog, it's overwhelming to look at so many amazing pictures, everything ou do is just so great, and your colors are so pretty

Tanya said...

The princess should have tan lines (see: Chase's image)

Kidding. These look great.

Simon said...

OH motherfuck! You do Barsoom justice, man.

And by the way, clothes ARE ridiculous. That is one thing the barsoomians have right.

Rob Layton said...

This is sparta!