Monday, February 09, 2009

Joel's Bees

This is for a project for school where we had to draw a western Canadian environment with the foreground in shadow and a light background. I'm pretty sure we're supposed to include a narrative aspect as well (ie: people doing something in the environment). The narrative I had running here is some farmer dude was out tractoring but his tire popped, and during a smoke break while repairing it, he sees a ufo and is getting his cell phone camera ready. It took me about 3 hours, and I had a lot of fun doing it. It's rushed and sketchy, but I've spent a lot of time looking at the art of Sam Neilson*. His rendering and colors blow me away, and I'm working on putting more and more effort into my rendering. He's doing what I want to do, art wise.


I think I'm going to go in and add to it later and make the lighting correct


Sam Neilson's art blog: http://artsammich.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

The Alec Tree said...

This pictiure is so kick ass!

its dead roswell, love the colours :)

Brian said...

Really nice pic Tom!
I recently discovered your blog and I am very impressed by the art you have been producing. Out of curiosity, do you use Adobe Illustrator for the most part? I guess I should be asking, what software(s) do you work with when creating these pieces.

I noticed that you have a Quatchi (2010 Olympics Mascot) in your room, do you live out in Vancouver area? I'm out in kits.

Will said...

this picture is awesome. i'll slowly upgrade my arm to something quad-core and compete with you or people of your skills one day.